Blast From the Past

Last weekend Mckay and I went up to Rexburg for my brother-in-law, Cody's, graduation. It was an extremely needed break since Mckay and I were up to our ears in homework and studying. The graduation was long and boring, but the company was great. My niece adores Mckay and I adore them both! 





Jane is just the cutest thing. She's just as sassy as my sister! We can't wait to add another sassy girl to our family! Aaand we are so proud of Cody and his great accomplishment!

I took advantage of being home and took my boxes out and sorted through all my old junk. Some of it, of course, was things that made me wonder why I had kept on to it for so long, and others were no-brainers. 

It was interesting though. When we got back I went through all the old cards and notes I had. Some of them were from my 9th birthday which made me laugh that I held on to it until I was 22 years old! The best was finding thank you cards from my Young Women president, Grandma Casper. I sat there reading all of them, crying and once again feeling her love. She would send me a thank you card every time I would participate in anything and each one praised me for things that I didn't really deserve, but I felt so strongly the love that she had for me and I can honestly say that she changed my life. 

I moved to St. George when I was 13. I was so vulnerable and so insecure. I remember so well all the feelings that came from going to a new school, wanting to be liked, and desperate to find friends. Besides my own mother Grandma Casper taught me to love the gospel. She taught with the spirit and touched every single one of her young women's lives. I think that was the reason I knew that she loved me. Aside from her thank you cards that I am sure she wrote every girl, she showed affection for every single one of us. Our young women's doubled when she was the president because of her gift of love. Looking back now I can imagine what she thought when she was called. She was probably in her 60's and thinking I am way too old to be the young women's president. But she served faithfully and helped each one of us to come closer to our Heavenly Father and Savior. Oh, another thing about her thank you cards, they didn't stop when she was released as the Young Women's president or when I graduated and went off to college. I found a birthday card that she sent me when I was going to BYU-Idaho. Last year Grandma Casper passed away. It was a surprise to me. I don't think she was sick for very long. While reading her thank you's oh how I wished I could get one of her hugs and tell her how much I love her and appreciate all the prayers and lessons and all the love she showered on me. Truly one of the greatest ladies I have ever met. 

Along with Grandma Capser's cards I found letters from my friends from California. They were ones that I received after I had moved. Man, they were so funny. I had forgotten what a diva and on occasion a brat I was. It's so funny the things that are important to you when you are 13. I found one particular letter from my best friend Taylor Pincin. I think it was a response to a letter I wrote her which I am sure was telling her how much I hated St. George and how much I wanted to go home to Redding and how I was a loser. But it was the sweetest and most encouraging letter. She just told me how special I was and how there was something about me that made people feel good. I am sure when I received that letter it made me feel really good, but little did she or I know that years and years later I would read that and again find strength and courage in her words. 

How grateful I am for the great people who have been in my life and for their influence and love. I am feeling so hopeful and excited about all the people I will meet now and in the future. What we can accomplish in people's lives with just a little bit of love!

"Go out into the world today and love the people you meet. Let your presence light new light in the hearts of people." - Mother Teresa (I really really like her!) 

2 comments

  1. Joan this is amazing you can still pull those special notes out and remember the great blessings in your life that helped you along the way. Beautiful! Love ya and miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps- I love the pictures! I am so glad you are having fun taking a quick break and you get to spend it with family :)

    ReplyDelete