The Joys of Marriage

Okay, so I should totally be doing homework, but I just have so much on my mind that I want to get out.

I love my husband. Getting married has probably been one of the most humbling experiences. Not to say that Mckay is always telling me I'm wrong or something, it is more about accepting someone's love. It is like the feeling when you ponder the atonement. --Okay, obviously not quite as intense, but it's the same type of feeling. There is no real reason why Mckay should love me. I try to be a good wife by cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, making lunches, getting ready, giving hugs and kisses, but these really aren't reasons for Mckay to give me his heart. I would say this is the best thing about being married. Selflessly loving someone else and being selflessly loved. It is humbling and fulfilling. 

God's plan, The Plan of Salvation, is truly the plan of happiness. You know, every girl I know dreams about when they get married. The wedding industry is huge now and Pinterest makes it easy to plan, fantasize, and obsess about every detail of one day. And not even just one day, but your whole life --travel, food, house, hair, body, etc. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I have found it pretty distracting. Distracting from what really makes marriage wonderful, beautiful, and rewarding. A couple of things, I am not dissing on Pinterest. Pinterest is great. My account is active and checked regularly. Also, I am not claiming to know everything about marriage. Ha! I have been married for a little less than a month. But, having just recently been "single" and dreaming about my wedding day all the expectations and anticipations are still pretty fresh. 

Planning my life and future on Pinterest is fun and I think if in moderation, healthy, but it is NOTHING compared to the joy and peace and love that I feel just day to day, living, sharing, and sacrificing for someone I love. It is NOTHING compared to the feeling of going to the temple with Mckay and knowing that through the Gospel of Jesus Christ I will be together forever with him, that our love will never end, but just grow deeper with every day. It is NOTHING compared to laughing, teasing, flirting, crying, worshiping, and working with Mckay. 

No amount of searching on Pinterest, sitting in Marriage Prep classes, even studying the scriptures or Ensign's could have prepared me for the happiness I feel. 

I think, subconsciously, I believed that if I could just get married I would be happy and my problems would go away. But every bit of wisdom I have received from my sisters and close friends has been true. This feeling of happiness and love that I feel is a choice. A choice that I make every single day. It isn't a hard choice most of the time, but still a choice. There are still problems to solve and work through. Life is still life and choosing to love it and be happy are still choices I have to make. 

Oh how I wish I would have had a better handle on that when I was single. Oh how I wish I would have enjoyed more that time and let go of all the pressure I put on myself. The Lord has every intention of helping his children be happy and feel loved in every stage of their life. 

Please, love yourself a little more. Enjoy each moment, each phase in your life. Your Father in Heaven has a plan and a purpose for each moment in your life. Believe that He loves you. Thank Him endlessly. And be happy. 



Wedding pictures soon to be coming!!! :) 

3 comments

  1. Love this Joanie! I love to see you do happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this post!! Speaking of enjoying each phase of life...babies come fast! So enjoy this time of just the TWO of you! Once you become parents you'll always be parents so enjoy just being together with no responsibilities beyond yourselves! And go to the temple together every opportunity you get cause those opportunities dwindle when your family begins to grow and it is hard to get there as much as you'd like! You were a beautiful bride and you guys looks so happy! I'm so happy you found your Prince Charming and now you can live your happily ever after! You deserve the best Joanie!!! :)

    ReplyDelete